Pinki's gender test inconclusive
Kolkata: The gender of Asian Games gold medalist Pinki Pramanik could not be established at the Barasat General Hospital today as it did not have the facilities, and the case was sought to be referred to the better equipped SSKM Hospital in Kolkata.
"There was ambiguity in the reports we got. We don`t have the facilities for chromosome and hormone tests. We did the ultrasonography, but all the tests could not be done", Chief Medical Officer of North 24 Parganas district Dr Sukanta Sil said after Pramanik`s medical tests lasting about three hours.
X-ray, scan and blood samples could not be taken because of lack of proper facilities at the Barasat General Hospital, where the athlete was taken.
"We are making a plea to the chief judicial magistrate that the case should be referred to the SSKM Hospital. Being the state`s referral hospital, SSKM has better facilities. So the tests should be done there", said Sil who headed a seven-member medical team.
The report has to be submitted to the court by June 29.
Pramanik is in judicial custody accused of rape and of being `male`.
Pramanik, who won the 4x400m relay gold in the Doha Asian Games 2010, was arrested on June 14 after being accused of multiple sexual assault and misrepresentation of gender by a 30-year-old estranged woman who had a live-in relationship with the athlete for two years.
The middle distance runner, who had won five gold medals and one silver between 2005 and 2006, officially retired the next year, but there were reports that the athlete was not allowed in a Madurai national meet because of `excessive male hormones`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi