Pistorius faces `final day` of grilling
Johannesburg: South African prosecutor Gerrie Nel indicated on Tuesday that he would wrap up his searing cross-examination of Oscar Pistorius, who has now spent more than a week in the witness box.
Nel has spent five emotion-filled days dragging Pistorius over the coals, accusing him of lying, tailoring evidence and crying to avoid tough questions.
"We will today finalize the cross-examination of the accused," Nel told the court while asking for a two week postponement.
The cross-examination resumed Tuesday with Nel accusing the sprinter of a cover-up, claiming he knowingly killed the 29-year-old model.
Nel picked at inconsistencies between Pistorius`s evidence in court and his lengthy bail application about the noises he heard as he shot.
"There`s no indication that you thought they (perceived intruders) were opening the door in your bail application," said Nel.
"You are thinking of a version constantly and not dealing with the question," Nel claimed.
"It`s getting more and more improbable and you`re tailoring more and more as we go on."
Pistorius tearfully denied the allegation several times.
Earlier, legal teams for the prosecution and the defence both called for a two week adjournment beginning on Friday.
"My colleague has a matter she has to deal with," said Nel.
"We have matters to deal with but there is also certain personal things that we have arranged that have been arranged all before this trial started."
The proposal would see court resume on May 5.
Pistorius`s attorney Barry Roux indicated that if the postponement is granted the defence may conclude calling its remaining witnesses by mid-May.
Judge Thokozile Masipa said she would consider the request and rule on Wednesday.
If the defence concludes its case by mid-May another postponement is likely before concluding arguments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar