PM congratulates Pankaj Advani and Rupesh Shah
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday congratulated Indian cueists Pankaj Advani and Rupesh Shah for winning the World Billiards Championship in time and point format respectively in Leeds in England.
"It is a noteworthy event when an Indian wins a world title and more so when two of them do so at a World Championship. I congratulate Pankaj Advani and Rupesh Shah in their winning world titles at the World Billiards Ranking Championships at Leeds," Singh said.
"It is a memorable feat bringing honour to the country, and one that will inspire youngsters in the years to come," he added.
Advani notched up his seventh World Billiards Championship title after comprehensively beating defending champion and seasoned Englishman Mike Russell in the time format final in Leeds on Sunday night.
Advani has thus become the youngest Indian ever to win eight world titles in any sport after his recent triumph.
On Saturday, Rupesh Shah had clinched the World Billiards (point frame) Championship crown after beating Australia`s Matthew Bolton 6-2 in Leeds. He is only the fifth Indian to win the title twice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security