PM congratulates Pankaj Advani and Rupesh Shah
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday congratulated Indian cueists Pankaj Advani and Rupesh Shah for winning the World Billiards Championship in time and point format respectively in Leeds in England.
"It is a noteworthy event when an Indian wins a world title and more so when two of them do so at a World Championship. I congratulate Pankaj Advani and Rupesh Shah in their winning world titles at the World Billiards Ranking Championships at Leeds," Singh said.
"It is a memorable feat bringing honour to the country, and one that will inspire youngsters in the years to come," he added.
Advani notched up his seventh World Billiards Championship title after comprehensively beating defending champion and seasoned Englishman Mike Russell in the time format final in Leeds on Sunday night.
Advani has thus become the youngest Indian ever to win eight world titles in any sport after his recent triumph.
On Saturday, Rupesh Shah had clinched the World Billiards (point frame) Championship crown after beating Australia`s Matthew Bolton 6-2 in Leeds. He is only the fifth Indian to win the title twice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise