POA to grant recognition to marshal art `Gatka`
Patiala: The Punjab Olympics Association (POA) would grant recognition to Gatka, Indian origin Marshal Art sport, POA`s president Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa said here on Thursday.
He said that the Gatka Federations should submit their proposals to get recognition of Gatka sport at international level including Asian, Commonwealth and Olympic Games.
Talking to reporters here, Dhindsa said that "The Gatka organizations affiliated with World Gatka Federation (WGF), like Asian Gatka Federation, Gatka Federation of India and Punjab Gatka Association have taken major initiatives to give impetus to this traditional game."
The WGF and its affiliated Gatka Federations had already initiated efforts in the educational institutions to popularize Gatka amongst students.
Dhindsa, who is also the president of WGF, has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Punjabi University Patiala to foster collaboration for advancement in academic opportunities and sports cooperation in order to promote, standardize and revive indigenous martial art Gatka as a recognized game at international level.
Dhindsa affirmed that the WGF along with its affiliated Gatka Federations and Punjabi University would co-operate with each other to facilitate academic co-operation initiatives in the areas of joint research, policy dialogue, publications and capacity building particularly in the area of standardization and revival of Gatka.
"The desired goal would be accomplished through documentation of short films, research projects, academic courses and hosting of Gatka competitions, seminars and workshops," he added.
Dhindsa informed that the WGF is an International sports organization is standardizing and promoting martial art Gatka as a game in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’