Pooja shines with two medals on Day 1
Haridwar: The 12th National Inter-District Junior Athletics Meet began today with the finals of three events out of a total of 30 being decided on day one.
Pooja of Kaithal district in Haryana stole the show by winning a gold and a silver in Under-14 girls 600m and in girls under-16 javelin throw events respectively. Pooja clocked 1:45.49 to finish first in the finals of 600m event for girls in under-14 category ahead of Rudraprayag district`s Gauri, who finished second with a timing of 1:46.04. North Delhi district`s Ankita Chahal took third position with a timing of 1:46.05.
In the boys under-14 600m event finals, North Delhi`s Akshay Nain took the top honour with a timing of 1:30.90 while Ghaziabad (UP) district`s Himanshu Tomar was second, clocking 1:31.61 and Hisar (Haryana) district`s Monu was third with a timing of 1:31.97.
In the girls under-16 javelin throw event, Carmela Barla of Sundergarh district of Odisha finished first with a throw of 30.79 metres. Kaithal girl Pooja, who clinched the under-14 600m race title earlier in the day, was second with a throw of 28.54 metres to take home her second medal in this meet. Bhagalpur (Bihar) district`s Minu Soren finished third, landing the javelin at 27.11 metres.
Earlier, the 12th edition of the NID-JAM was inaugurated and declared open by Sports Minister of Uttarakhand Dinesh Aggarwal. Aggarwal lauded the efforts of Athletics Federation of India for promoting the sport across the country.
"I congratulate AFI for conducting such a unique meet where talented youngsters from all the districts compete with their peers from other states. The state of Uttarakhand is proud to host the meet and we welcome all 3,500 participants from 260 districts. We hope they will enjoy their visit to the state and return home as brand ambassador for Uttarakhand," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt