Poonia, Om Prakash to train in US for CWG tune-up
New Delhi: Star Indian throwers Krishna Poonia and Om Prakash will be leaving for the US this Saturday for a training-cum-competition programme in preparation for the 2014 Commonwealth Games to be held in Glasgow.
Krishna, the first Indian woman athlete to win a gold medal in CWG - Delhi 2010, will be training at Olympic Training Centre in Chula Vista, California.
The 31-year-old Arjuna Awardee will also be participating in competitions in the countdown to the Glasgow Games.
Meanwhile, 2006 CWG silver medallist in women`s discus throw, Seema Punia (previously Seema Antil) will also accompany the three-member team to train at the Olympic Throwing Centre, New Port Beach, California.
National record holder in men`s shot put and Asian Indoor Champion Om Prakash will be training at Aphelion Athletics Club, Pennsylvania (USA).
The throwers will be based at their respective training centres in addition to travelling for various competitions up to the Commonwealth Games.
Commenting on the development, Athletics Federation of India president and former Olympian Adille J Sumariwalla said, "The throw event has always beena priority for AFI and our athletes have brought rich laurels for the country in the past. The ultimate aim is to perform at the 2016 Olympics and for that our athletes need continous training in elite centres and competition exposure at the highest level."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video