Poonia, Preeja and Kavita to participate in Eugene Diamond League Meet
New Delhi: Three Indian women, including Commonwealth Games gold medallist discus thrower Krishna Poonia, will take part at the Perfontaine Classic Diamond League Meet at Eugene in Oregon, United States, in a world class field on June 2.
Poonia, who had already qualified for the London Olympics with a national record 64.74m throw at Hawaii earlier this month, would be up against the likes of 2008 Olympics gold winner Stephanie Brown Trafton of United States and silver medallist Barrios Yarelys of Cuba and Perkovic Sandra of Croatia who won the Shanghai leg of Diamond League Meet in 68.24m.
The other two Indian women taking part in the fourth leg of the 14-leg Diamond League Meet series are Asian Games gold medallist in 10,000m Preeja Sreedharan and silver medallist Kavita Raut.
Sreedharan and Raut are yet to attain Olympics qualification.
The duo, along with 3000m steeplechase Asian Games gold medallist Sudha Singh and O P Jaisha, were earlier training in Kenya before moving base to Brescia in Northern Italy to train under Claudio Berardelli, regarded as one of the best endurance-running coaches in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Attention TV lovers, we have a good news for 'Sarabhai vs Sarabhai' fans! - Read more
- News Television Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags best news channel website honour
- Say Whaaat! Winners of Sunny Leone, Rannvijay Singha's 'Splitsvilla 9' already decided?
- Google-backed transpacific submarine cable between US and Japan goes live today!
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments