Poonia qualifies for London Olympics with gold at US meet
New Delhi: Commonwealth Games gold-medallist Krishna Poonia qualified for next year`s London Olympics after clinching a gold medal in the women`s discus thrower event of the Fling Throw Meet in Portland, USA.
Poonia came up with an outstanding throw of 61.12 meters, which was her best effort of the season and better than the 2012 London Olympics qualification `B` standard of 59.50m.
This was Poonia`s first big throw since hurting her knee last year immediately after the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
Despite the cold and cloudy weather, Poonia was very consistent. She registered four marks of over 60 meters, two of which were over 61.
Poonia will return to India in the first week of November.
Poonia had earlier won gold in women`s discus throw event of the Harvest Throw Meet in Portland, United States. There she came up with a throw of 59.39m but her effort fell short
of `B` standard of 59.50m.
Poonia has been training at the Throws Centre at Concordia University at Oregon, Portland since July under the guidance of former Olympic champion Mac Wilkins.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family