Poonia qualifies for London Olympics with gold at US meet
New Delhi: Commonwealth Games gold-medallist Krishna Poonia qualified for next year`s London Olympics after clinching a gold medal in the women`s discus thrower event of the Fling Throw Meet in Portland, USA.
Poonia came up with an outstanding throw of 61.12 meters, which was her best effort of the season and better than the 2012 London Olympics qualification `B` standard of 59.50m.
This was Poonia`s first big throw since hurting her knee last year immediately after the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
Despite the cold and cloudy weather, Poonia was very consistent. She registered four marks of over 60 meters, two of which were over 61.
Poonia will return to India in the first week of November.
Poonia had earlier won gold in women`s discus throw event of the Harvest Throw Meet in Portland, United States. There she came up with a throw of 59.39m but her effort fell short
of `B` standard of 59.50m.
Poonia has been training at the Throws Centre at Concordia University at Oregon, Portland since July under the guidance of former Olympic champion Mac Wilkins.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials