Povetkin beats Chagaev to win WBA title
Erfurt (Germany): Russia`s Alexander Povetkin won the vacant WBA heavyweight title here on Saturday with a points victory over Uzbek Ruslan Chagaev.
The three judges came down in favour of Povetkin with 117-113 on two cards and 116-112 on the third as the 2004 Olympic champion took the title left vacant when Ukraine`s Wladimir Klitschko was promoted to super champion status.
Povetkin, unbeaten from 22 fights with 15 knock-outs, now has the chance to take on the undisputed champion Klitschko, who earned a unanimous decision over Britain`s David Haye last July to add Haye`s WBA belt to his IBF and WBO crowns.
The 31-year-old Russian marked points at the beginning of the fight with his speed and agility along with fast combinations to the face and body.
Chagaev, nicknamed the `White Tyson`, went for the knock-out blow and landed some big left hand jabs in the sixth and seventh rounds before his rival regained the initiative.
For 32-year-old Chagaev, who has 17 knock-outs from 27 victories, it was his second defeat after falling to Klitschko in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic