Povetkin beats Chagaev to win WBA title
Erfurt (Germany): Russia`s Alexander Povetkin won the vacant WBA heavyweight title here on Saturday with a points victory over Uzbek Ruslan Chagaev.
The three judges came down in favour of Povetkin with 117-113 on two cards and 116-112 on the third as the 2004 Olympic champion took the title left vacant when Ukraine`s Wladimir Klitschko was promoted to super champion status.
Povetkin, unbeaten from 22 fights with 15 knock-outs, now has the chance to take on the undisputed champion Klitschko, who earned a unanimous decision over Britain`s David Haye last July to add Haye`s WBA belt to his IBF and WBO crowns.
The 31-year-old Russian marked points at the beginning of the fight with his speed and agility along with fast combinations to the face and body.
Chagaev, nicknamed the `White Tyson`, went for the knock-out blow and landed some big left hand jabs in the sixth and seventh rounds before his rival regained the initiative.
For 32-year-old Chagaev, who has 17 knock-outs from 27 victories, it was his second defeat after falling to Klitschko in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details