Powell says he never knew Simpson used supplement
Kingston: Former 100-metre world record-holder Asafa Powell said Wednesday that he was unaware his former training partner Sherone Simpson was taking similar supplements to those he used.
Powell was called as a witness in Simpson`s doping hearing before the Jamaican Anti-Doping Commission disciplinary panel that will begin a hearing into Powell starting next week.
Both Simpson and Powell tested positive for the same banned stimulant, oxilofrine (methylsynephrine), at last June`s Jamaican national championships.
Powell, who blamed his positive test on nutritional supplements, said he only became aware that he and Simpson were both taking similar supplements when both failed drug tests.
"I didn`t know she was taking it until after the positive test," Powell continued, backing up what Simpson had told the panel earlier.
Asked if he had told Simpson that physical trainer Chris Xuereb gave him supplements, Powell said no.
Powell told the panel how he was introduced to the supplements by Canadian Xuereb, saying he awoke at 4:45 in the morning and departed for training that started at 5 without having anything to eat.
This, he said, caught the attention of Xuereb, who was staying at his house at the time.
"After a few days he observed (I wasn`t eating in the mornings) and told me that I should be taking better care of myself. It was then that he recommended the supplements," added Powell, who spent 10 minutes on the stand.
Simpson had earlier testified Xuereb introduced her to several supplements, but she was only unfamiliar with Epiphany D1. She said she searched the Internet for information on it but found nothing wrong.
"There was nothing that rang any alarm bells. No alarm bell. No red flag," said Simpson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Axis Bank raises Rs 2,430 cr from debentures
- 'GDP growth rate to be lower than CSO's forecast of 7.6% in FY16'
- Karan-Bipasha to appear on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Rains keep mercury near normal in several parts of country
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results 2016, CBSE Class X Results 2016 to be declared on May 28; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in