Powell’s sponsorship woes
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell has started facing the side effects of being trapped into the doping net.
According to the media reports the doping controversy forced the Chinese sportswear company Li-Ning to suspend its sponsorship deal with Powell.
Li-Ning didn’t take much of a time and within few days of the doping controversy suspended the tainted sprinter from its sponsorship deal.
The company said in a statement that it has "great respect for his efforts and hard work" over the years but it was suspending its deal with the former 100-meter world-record holder pending the outcome of a doping investigation.
Li-Ning, which has thousands of retail outlets in China, is gradually gaining recognition in the United States. Last year, Miami Heat star Dwayne Wade signed with Li-Ning, which gave the NBA player his own brand within the company.
Earlier, Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell, two of the four fastest men in history, sent shockwaves through the blue riband 100m when both men failed drug tests.
Jamaican sprint star Powell, a former 100m world record holder, confirmed that he had tested positive for a banned stimulant at his country`s national trials for Moscow. But the 30-year-old strenuously denied any wrong doing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- SEBI mulling relaxed norms for REITs, InvITs, startups listing
- LIC to fill posts for 2 MDs; yet to name chairman
- Wild elephant tramples farmer to death in Coimbatore
- CID team visits Murshidabad hospital after two women killed in fire
- India must take Dawood's presence strictly with Pakistan: Samajwadi Party