Powell’s sponsorship woes
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell has started facing the side effects of being trapped into the doping net.
According to the media reports the doping controversy forced the Chinese sportswear company Li-Ning to suspend its sponsorship deal with Powell.
Li-Ning didn’t take much of a time and within few days of the doping controversy suspended the tainted sprinter from its sponsorship deal.
The company said in a statement that it has "great respect for his efforts and hard work" over the years but it was suspending its deal with the former 100-meter world-record holder pending the outcome of a doping investigation.
Li-Ning, which has thousands of retail outlets in China, is gradually gaining recognition in the United States. Last year, Miami Heat star Dwayne Wade signed with Li-Ning, which gave the NBA player his own brand within the company.
Earlier, Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell, two of the four fastest men in history, sent shockwaves through the blue riband 100m when both men failed drug tests.
Jamaican sprint star Powell, a former 100m world record holder, confirmed that he had tested positive for a banned stimulant at his country`s national trials for Moscow. But the 30-year-old strenuously denied any wrong doing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor