Powell’s sponsorship woes
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell has started facing the side effects of being trapped into the doping net.
According to the media reports the doping controversy forced the Chinese sportswear company Li-Ning to suspend its sponsorship deal with Powell.
Li-Ning didn’t take much of a time and within few days of the doping controversy suspended the tainted sprinter from its sponsorship deal.
The company said in a statement that it has "great respect for his efforts and hard work" over the years but it was suspending its deal with the former 100-meter world-record holder pending the outcome of a doping investigation.
Li-Ning, which has thousands of retail outlets in China, is gradually gaining recognition in the United States. Last year, Miami Heat star Dwayne Wade signed with Li-Ning, which gave the NBA player his own brand within the company.
Earlier, Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell, two of the four fastest men in history, sent shockwaves through the blue riband 100m when both men failed drug tests.
Jamaican sprint star Powell, a former 100m world record holder, confirmed that he had tested positive for a banned stimulant at his country`s national trials for Moscow. But the 30-year-old strenuously denied any wrong doing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok