PP, IO can interview witnesses before hand in CWG cases: HC
New Delhi: Modifying a trial court order, the Delhi High Court on Tuesday said the Investigating officer and the Public Prosecutor can interview the prosecution witnesses "before hand" in the Commonwealth Games-related graft case involving sacked Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi.
Justice Kailash Gambhir said, "The order is modified to the extent that the duo can interview the prosecution witnesses before hand."
The court modified the trial court`s March 14 order which had barred both Investigating Officer (IO) and Public Prosecutor (PP) from having access to the prosecution witnesses who are yet to be examined.
The court also issued notices to Kalmadi and other accused in the case and sought their replies by July 12 on the CBI`s plea challenging the special court`s order.
During arguments, CBI Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan cited a Supreme Court ruling and said that PPs have the right to interview the witnesses to know what stand they have to adopt while recording of their statement.
He also said that "by this order the (trial) court is facilitating witnesses to turn hostile."
In its plea, CBI informed the high court that so far 10 out of 64 prosecution witnesses have been examined in the day-to-day trial of the case.
Kalmadi`s counsel, however, argued that trial court had questioned the conduct of PP and alleged that some witnesses were seen in the company of IO and PP in the court on the date of their examination.
On March 14, the Special CBI court which is conducting trial in the Timing, Scoring and Result System (TSR) scam, had in its order restrained the IO and PP from having access to the witnesses till the conclusion of their examination.
Kalmadi is facing trial on the charges of criminal conspiracy, forgery, cheating and other offences under the IPC and also for alleged criminal misconduct by public servants under the Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA).
Kalmadi, who was sacked as CWG Organising Committee(OC) chairman, and the other accused, including OC Secretary General Lalit Bhanot are accused of "illegally" awarding a contract to install TSR system for the 2010 CWG to Swiss Timing at inflated rates causing a loss of over Rs 90 crore to the exchequer.
Besides Kalmadi and Bhanot, other accused in the case are OC`s former Director General V K Verma, former Director General (Procurement) Surjit Lal, former Joint Director General (Sports) A S V Prasad and former Treasurer M Jayachandran. They are no more associated with the sports body.
Apart from the six, promoters of two construction firms -P D Arya and A K Madan of Faridabad-based Gem International and A K Reddy of Hyderabad-based AKR Constructions are also accused in the case.
AKR Constructions and Swiss Timing are also an accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh