Praneeth, Anand and Srikanth qualify for main draw in France
Paris: Indian shuttlers B Sai Praneeth, Anand Pawar and K Srikanth reached the main draw of the French Super Series after notching up contrasting victories in the men`s singles qualifiers here on Tuesday.
Seeded fourth in the qualifiers, Praneeth registered a 21-14 21-15 win over Finland`s Ville Lang in the opening round and then prevailed over local player Lucas Corvee 21-12 21-15 in the second round.
Anand Pawar, however, had a difficult match early on when he had to toil hard to get it across local shuttler Brice Leverdez 21-17 23-21 in the first match and then dig deep to eke out a thrilling 16-21 21-11 21-19 win over Joachim Persson of Denmark in the next round.
Srikanth too defeated Scot Evans 21-19 21-15 first and then notched up a hard-fought victory over compatriot Sourabh Varma 18-21 21-18 21-11 to seal his place in the main draw.
Sourabh had won 21-8 21-12 against Matthieu Lo Ying in the opening round. Indian young shuttler H S Prannoy could not get across the first round after his gallant fight ended with a 21-13 18-21 14-21 loss to Lucas Corvee in the first round.
In the men`s doubles category, Indian pair of Manu Attri and Sumeeth Reddy B suffered a 7-21 8-21 loss to Denmark`s Mads Conrad-Petersen and Mads Pieler Kolding in the qualifiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore