Prannoy assures India of silver in Youth Olympic Games
Singapore: Rising shuttler H S Prannoy
assured India a silver, while tennis sensation Yuki Bhambri
inched closer to his medal as India wrapped up a mixed day in
the inaugural Youth Olympics games here on Wednesday.
Prannoy delved deep in his armoury to produce a stunning
19-21, 21-17, 21-17 win over top seed Kang Ji Wook of Korea in
the first semifinal here.
The Kerela shuttler, who had lost to Kang in the
semifinals of World Championship, bounced back from a game
down and held his nerves in crucial moments to bring
cheers to the Indian camp.
He will now face the winner of the contest between
Poodchalat Pisit and Low Wei Sheng in the finals tomorrow.
"It was a great victory for Prannoy. He was attacking and
his backhand looked good. He lost the first game but he
bounced back and played well in crucial moments," National
coach Pullela Gopichand told reporters.
In tennis, sixth seed Yuki continued his rampaging run in
the tournament and beat John Morrissey of Ireland 6-4, 6-4 to
set up a semifinal clash with second seed Damir Dzumhur of
Bosnia and Herzegov, who beat seventh seed Hungarian Mate
Zsiga 6-4, 6-2.
In Archery, Atanu Das and Seema Verma shot 637 and 635
for an identical fifth position in the junior men`s and
women`s individual ranking round respectively.
Seema then spanked Sorsa Tanja of Finland 6-0 in the 1/16
elimination round but it was all over for Atanu in the men`s
elimination round as Hautamaki Joni of Finland edge past him
In the mixed team 1/16 elimination, Atanu and Miranda
Leek of USA failed to get past the Dutch-Armenia pair of Maud
Custers and Shahnazaryan Vasil and lost 4-6 at the Kallang
Seema was unlucky in the mixed team 1/16 elimination as
she and her partner Linster lost 1-3 to Wojnicka Aleksandra
and Yilmaz Yaqiz.
Among others in fray, Indian boys basket ball team lost
20-33 to Greece in the preliminary Group A match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured