Prannoy assures India of silver in Youth Olympic Games
Singapore: Rising shuttler H S Prannoy
assured India a silver, while tennis sensation Yuki Bhambri
inched closer to his medal as India wrapped up a mixed day in
the inaugural Youth Olympics games here on Wednesday.
Prannoy delved deep in his armoury to produce a stunning
19-21, 21-17, 21-17 win over top seed Kang Ji Wook of Korea in
the first semifinal here.
The Kerela shuttler, who had lost to Kang in the
semifinals of World Championship, bounced back from a game
down and held his nerves in crucial moments to bring
cheers to the Indian camp.
He will now face the winner of the contest between
Poodchalat Pisit and Low Wei Sheng in the finals tomorrow.
"It was a great victory for Prannoy. He was attacking and
his backhand looked good. He lost the first game but he
bounced back and played well in crucial moments," National
coach Pullela Gopichand told reporters.
In tennis, sixth seed Yuki continued his rampaging run in
the tournament and beat John Morrissey of Ireland 6-4, 6-4 to
set up a semifinal clash with second seed Damir Dzumhur of
Bosnia and Herzegov, who beat seventh seed Hungarian Mate
Zsiga 6-4, 6-2.
In Archery, Atanu Das and Seema Verma shot 637 and 635
for an identical fifth position in the junior men`s and
women`s individual ranking round respectively.
Seema then spanked Sorsa Tanja of Finland 6-0 in the 1/16
elimination round but it was all over for Atanu in the men`s
elimination round as Hautamaki Joni of Finland edge past him
In the mixed team 1/16 elimination, Atanu and Miranda
Leek of USA failed to get past the Dutch-Armenia pair of Maud
Custers and Shahnazaryan Vasil and lost 4-6 at the Kallang
Seema was unlucky in the mixed team 1/16 elimination as
she and her partner Linster lost 1-3 to Wojnicka Aleksandra
and Yilmaz Yaqiz.
Among others in fray, Indian boys basket ball team lost
20-33 to Greece in the preliminary Group A match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened