Prannoy sends Taufik crashing out of India Open
New Delhi: Indian shuttler Haseena Sunil Kumar Prannoy caused the biggest upset of the India Open Super Series Thursday when he ousted former Olympic and World Champion Taufik Hidayat here.
In the men`s singles second round action, Prannoy overcame the legendary Indonesian in 40 minutes with the final score reading 26-24, 21-9 at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.
"I had never ever imagined in my dreams that I would beat him," said an elated Prannoy.
This was the first time the two met.
The 20-year-old Keralite is likely to clash with World No.1 and top seed Lee Chong Wei, who will play later in the day, in the quarterfinals on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Brave jawans gun down six militants in encounters in Kashmir's Kupwara - Know gunbattle details
- Brexit poll results: Britain, EU relation on knife-edge as historic referendum closes
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus