Prannoy sends Taufik crashing out of India Open
New Delhi: Indian shuttler Haseena Sunil Kumar Prannoy caused the biggest upset of the India Open Super Series Thursday when he ousted former Olympic and World Champion Taufik Hidayat here.
In the men`s singles second round action, Prannoy overcame the legendary Indonesian in 40 minutes with the final score reading 26-24, 21-9 at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.
"I had never ever imagined in my dreams that I would beat him," said an elated Prannoy.
This was the first time the two met.
The 20-year-old Keralite is likely to clash with World No.1 and top seed Lee Chong Wei, who will play later in the day, in the quarterfinals on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details