Prannoy stuns Boonsak of Thailand in Swiss Open
Basel: Indian shuttler H S Prannoy today registered a stunning upset victory over seventh seed Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand to storm into the pre-quarterfinals of the Swiss Open Badminton Championship here.
Unseeded Prannoy came from a game down to beat his much-fancied opponent 18-21 21-13 21-12 in a 55-minute second round contest.
Prannoy had beaten Michael Lahnsteiner of Austria 18-21 21-9 21-12 in the first round.
The world number 97 Indian next takes on 15th seed Tien Chen Chou of Chinese Taipei in the round of 16.
Earlier, world number nine and fifth seed Indian Parupalli Kashyap entered the second round with a comfortable 21-7 21-19 victory over Hsuan Yi Hsueh of Chinese Taipei.
However, Sourabh Varma and K Srikanth ended their campaign in the first round of the tier three tournament at at St Jakobshalle.
London Olympics quarterfinalist Kashyap will take on Germany`s Dieter Domke in the second round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!