Prannoy stuns Boonsak of Thailand in Swiss Open
Basel: Indian shuttler H S Prannoy today registered a stunning upset victory over seventh seed Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand to storm into the pre-quarterfinals of the Swiss Open Badminton Championship here.
Unseeded Prannoy came from a game down to beat his much-fancied opponent 18-21 21-13 21-12 in a 55-minute second round contest.
Prannoy had beaten Michael Lahnsteiner of Austria 18-21 21-9 21-12 in the first round.
The world number 97 Indian next takes on 15th seed Tien Chen Chou of Chinese Taipei in the round of 16.
Earlier, world number nine and fifth seed Indian Parupalli Kashyap entered the second round with a comfortable 21-7 21-19 victory over Hsuan Yi Hsueh of Chinese Taipei.
However, Sourabh Varma and K Srikanth ended their campaign in the first round of the tier three tournament at at St Jakobshalle.
London Olympics quarterfinalist Kashyap will take on Germany`s Dieter Domke in the second round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Bulandshahr gang-rape accused plead not guilty, demand narco test to prove innocence
- Was Osho murdered by his followers?
- China hopes for early talks with Phillipines on South China Sea
- US military aids Turkey with air cover, intelligence in anti-ISIS operation in Syria
- Record German budget surplus fuels investment debate