Prasad, Sandeep march into quarters in AIBA Youth World Boxing
New Delhi: India`s Lalitha Polipalli Prasad (49kg) advanced to the quarter-finals of the AIBA Youth World Boxing Championships in Yerevan, Armenia with another scintillating performance on Monday.
The 17-year-old Indian outplayed Issac Pinto of Ecuador 15-5 win on points in a pre-quarterfinals bout.
Prasad, a multiple junior national champion, completely dominated the bout with his accurate jabs and power hooks from the start. The brittle defence of Pinto could hardy withstand the relentless pounding by the Indian boxer.
An aggressive opening gave Prasad a three point advantage (4-1) in first round. From there on, the hapless Ecuadorian could hardly do anything in the last six minutes of the bout. In quarterfinals, Prasad faces Japanese Kosie Tanaka.
Sandeep Sharma (75kg), a bronze medallist at the 2010 International Invitational tournament in Kazakhstan, also made his way into the quarter-finals with a resounding victory over European Junior Championships bronze medallist Berika Mhechadze of Georgia.
The Indian completely outclassed Berika and won all three rounds against his European opponent. He won on points 17-8. In the quarter-finals, Sandeep will battle against Uzbek boxer Azizjon Mamatov in an attempt to qualify for the medal rounds.
Yesterday, silver medallist at the 2012 Tammer International Tournament, Dheeraj Singh (52kg) outpunched Roman Formanek of Slovakia in spectacular fashion. He took full advantage of his height and long reaching arms to break the defence of Formanek and win 20-5 on points.
Super heavy weight boxer Narender (+91) upstaged Hussein Iashaish from Jordan in what was an outstanding battle. There was not much separating the two boxers and both matched each other punch for punch, but Narender took a crucial one point lead in the first round (3-2).
Iashaish, though, levelled things in the second round winning it 5-4. In the final round, it was Narender who edged past the Jordanian boxer with a score of 12-11. He now takes on 2010 European Junior Championship bronze medallist Ivan Kabatov of Russia.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani