Prasad, Sandeep march into quarters in AIBA Youth World Boxing
New Delhi: India`s Lalitha Polipalli Prasad (49kg) advanced to the quarter-finals of the AIBA Youth World Boxing Championships in Yerevan, Armenia with another scintillating performance on Monday.
The 17-year-old Indian outplayed Issac Pinto of Ecuador 15-5 win on points in a pre-quarterfinals bout.
Prasad, a multiple junior national champion, completely dominated the bout with his accurate jabs and power hooks from the start. The brittle defence of Pinto could hardy withstand the relentless pounding by the Indian boxer.
An aggressive opening gave Prasad a three point advantage (4-1) in first round. From there on, the hapless Ecuadorian could hardly do anything in the last six minutes of the bout. In quarterfinals, Prasad faces Japanese Kosie Tanaka.
Sandeep Sharma (75kg), a bronze medallist at the 2010 International Invitational tournament in Kazakhstan, also made his way into the quarter-finals with a resounding victory over European Junior Championships bronze medallist Berika Mhechadze of Georgia.
The Indian completely outclassed Berika and won all three rounds against his European opponent. He won on points 17-8. In the quarter-finals, Sandeep will battle against Uzbek boxer Azizjon Mamatov in an attempt to qualify for the medal rounds.
Yesterday, silver medallist at the 2012 Tammer International Tournament, Dheeraj Singh (52kg) outpunched Roman Formanek of Slovakia in spectacular fashion. He took full advantage of his height and long reaching arms to break the defence of Formanek and win 20-5 on points.
Super heavy weight boxer Narender (+91) upstaged Hussein Iashaish from Jordan in what was an outstanding battle. There was not much separating the two boxers and both matched each other punch for punch, but Narender took a crucial one point lead in the first round (3-2).
Iashaish, though, levelled things in the second round winning it 5-4. In the final round, it was Narender who edged past the Jordanian boxer with a score of 12-11. He now takes on 2010 European Junior Championship bronze medallist Ivan Kabatov of Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Sidharth Malhotra bats for Sonakshi Sinha's 'Akira'- Watch cutest promotion video!
- Cristiano Ronaldo reveals desire to end career at Real Madrid at the age of 41
- Get free voice, video call and 4G internet for 90 days on Reliance Jio
- Soha Ali Khan's weekend getaway will surely tempt you!- See pic
- DGCA to soon ban taking selfies on planes!