Promising archer commits suicide at training camp
Pune: In a shocking incident, Pratima Boro, an international archer from Assam, on Friday committed suicide at the Army Sports Training Centre in Pune where she has been participating in the national camp.
Pratima, in her early 20s, was found hanging from the ceiling fan of her hostel room by using her bed sheet. It is learnt that she was suffering from depression from some time.
Her colleagues got suspicious as she was absent for the morning session of the national camp for the recurve event and they had gone to look for her.
"When her friends went to her room, they found it locked from inside. They opened it and found her hanging from the ceiling fan using her bed sheet," according to archery sources.
The exact reason for Pratima taking the extreme step was not known. Her body has been sent for post mortem.
The sources said that the Army Sports Training Centre where Pratima was found hanging did not have women wardens.
Since the Archery Association of India has been de-recognised by the Sports Ministry, the camp for the recurve event was being held at Army Sports Training Centre and not at SAI Centre.
Pratima was a member of the Indian recurve women`s squad for the 2009 World Cup Stage IV in Shanghai and World Championships in that year. She was earlier a cadet of Tata Archery Academy at Jamshedpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Imran Khan demands ‘jail’ for Nawaz; reiterates Pak PM’s resignation over Panama Papers – Video inside
- Breathtaking dance steps performed by sibling goes viral – Watch video to believe it!
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires