Prosecutors conclude Pistorius cross-examination
Pretoria: The prosecution concluded its gruelling cross-examination of Paralympian Oscar Pistorius today, ending five days of intense and emotional interrogation in his murder trial.
"I have nothing further for this witness," said prosecution lawyer Gerrie Nel, after relentless questioning into the moments after the athlete shot dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
Nel spent five days dragging Pistorius over the coals, accusing him of lying, tailoring evidence and crying to avoid tough questions.
Inconsistencies in Pistorius`s account, his evasive answers and sketchy memory of some details may have left his case in a weaker position than when he took the stand.
Today the prosecution accused the sprinter of a cover-up, claiming he knowingly killed the 29-year-old model.
Nel picked at inconsistencies between Pistorius`s evidence in court and his lengthy bail application about the noises he heard as he shot.
"There`s no indication that you thought they (perceived intruders) were opening the door in your bail application," said Nel.
"You are thinking of a version constantly and not dealing with the question," he added.
"It`s getting more and more improbable and you`re tailoring more and more as we go on."
Pistorius tearfully denied the allegation several times.
Earlier, legal teams for the prosecution and the defence both called for a two week adjournment beginning on Friday.
"My colleague has a matter she has to deal with," said Nel.
"We have matters to deal with but there is also certain personal things that we have arranged that have been arranged all before this trial started."
The proposal would see court resume on May 5.
Pistorius`s attorney Barry Roux indicated the defence may finish calling its witnesses by mid-May if the postponement is granted.
Judge Thokozile Masipa said she would consider the request and rule on Wednesday.
If the defence concludes its case by mid-May another postponement is likely before concluding arguments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried