Proteas skipper Smith signs for HIL auction
New Delhi: South Africa`s skipper Austin Smith will be available for the Hockey India League (HIL) players` auction among others, said the organisers Friday.
The 27-year-old Smith has 103 international caps and has been part of South African teams that competed in the Olympic Games in 2008 and 2012.
Drag-flicker Justin Reid Ross (63 goals in 91 games), Lloyd Norris Jones (46 goals in 90 matches) and Thornton McDade (27 goals in 94 games) are among the other big draws.
Centre-half Lloyd Madsen (70 caps), defender Rhett Halkett (64 caps) and Erasmus Pieterse, who has kept the goal in 60 matches, along with defender Clinton Panther (34 caps) are also among the other players from South Africa who have signed for the auction.
These players will join others in the inaugural edition of the HIL which starts Jan 5. The six-franchise-based event, featuring 33 matches, is scheduled to climax on Feb 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what