Proteas skipper Smith signs for HIL auction
New Delhi: South Africa`s skipper Austin Smith will be available for the Hockey India League (HIL) players` auction among others, said the organisers Friday.
The 27-year-old Smith has 103 international caps and has been part of South African teams that competed in the Olympic Games in 2008 and 2012.
Drag-flicker Justin Reid Ross (63 goals in 91 games), Lloyd Norris Jones (46 goals in 90 matches) and Thornton McDade (27 goals in 94 games) are among the other big draws.
Centre-half Lloyd Madsen (70 caps), defender Rhett Halkett (64 caps) and Erasmus Pieterse, who has kept the goal in 60 matches, along with defender Clinton Panther (34 caps) are also among the other players from South Africa who have signed for the auction.
These players will join others in the inaugural edition of the HIL which starts Jan 5. The six-franchise-based event, featuring 33 matches, is scheduled to climax on Feb 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'