New Delhi: Ace badminton coach Pullela Gopichand on Wednesday backed Badminton Association of India's move to withdraw its participation from the Pakistan International Series scheduled to be held in Islamabad later this month.
Speaking to Times Now, Gopichand said, "I think Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Akhilesh Sir took a very known view. We all support that view. India, as a nation, has taken a certain view and we support that view."
BAI president Akhilesh Das Gupta had earlier confirmed the news, saying that no Indian player would participate in the BWF International series which will be held from October 18 to October 21. (ALSO READ: Ex-Pakistani cricketer Javed Miandad abuses PM Modi, wants India to throw him out of power)
"The announcement comes as an act of solidarity with the decisions of the Government of India in the wake of ongoing tensions between the two countries," Gupta said.
"On behalf of the council members of BAI and the entire badminton fraternity, we express strong concerns and support towards the sentiments of our fellow citizens of India," he added.
In the intervening night of Wednesday and Thursday, the Indian Army carried surgical strikes across the LoC to neutralise terrorists from crossing over into India.
Two Pakistani soldiers and over 30 terrorists were reportedly killed in the attack. (WATCH: 'Pathans are protecting our border', Shahid Afridi warns India against attacking Pakistan)
The surgical strikes were in response to the terrorist attack at Uri in Jammu and Kashmir that killed 19 Indian Army soldiers.