Punjab defends Jr Men`s National hockey title
Sonepat: Defending champions Punjab edged past Odisha 2-1 to lift the third Hockey India Junior Men National Championship at Motil Lal Nehru Sports Complex, Rai here on Thursday.
Punjab scored their opening goal through skipper Gaganpreet Singh who converted a penalty corner in the 10th minute, while Odisha leveled the score in the 24th minute with a field strike from Joseph Toppo.
In the second half, both the teams fought hard but before captain Gaganpreet converted yet another penalty corner in the 63rd minute, his second of the day, to hand Punjab the title.
Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy (MPHA) defeated Hockey Maharashtra 5-4 to finish third in the championship.
MPHA scored through Mohd Nizamuddin (19th, 28th min), Arjun Sharma (26th, 69th) and Arman Qureshi (42nd) while Ashutosh Lingesh (9th) and Mithlesh Kumar (60th, 63rd) were on target for Hockey Maharashtra. The other goal for Maharashtra came from through an own goal in the 30th minute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- 'Jurassic World 2' to begin production in Hawaii next year
- Liam Payne will reunite with One Direction, says his sister
- Orlando Bloom 'happy' for Miranda Kerr
- Planning to visit Africa? Check out these top 5 places for sure
- Whoa! Deepika Padukone meets Ranbir Kapoor, Fawad Khan on 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' sets?