Punjab to organise 4th World Kabaddi Cup
Chandigarh: Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, while taking stock of preparations for the forthcoming World Cup Kabbadi to be held in Punjab from November 30 to December 14, said on Monday that the invitations to the participating teams have already been sent.
The opening ceremony would be held in Bathinda and the closing ceremony at the Guru Nanak stadium in Ludhiana.
Chaudhary Shujaat Hussain, former Prime Minister of Pakistan and President of Pakistan Kabbadi Federation has also given his consent among other dignitaries to attend the mega event, he said.
Addressing a high-level meeting concerning the event, the deputy chief minister said there would be twelve men`s teams and eight women`s teams representing various countries.
Approximately Rs 20 crore budget for the tournament has been approved and the entire event would be telecast live not only in the country but also in Canada, USA and UK, he said.
The countries representing men`s team included India, Argentina, USA, England, Canada, Pakistan, Sierra Leone, Iran, Denmark, Kenya, Scotland and Spain whereas the Women teams included India, USA, England, Denmark, Iran, Mexico, Kenya and Pakistan.
Badal also said that the league matches would be played in 13 stadiums.
He said elaborate arrangements have been made to keep this international event drugs-free.
He said that for this purpose, the National Anti Dope Agency (NADA) has deputed teams for conducting dope tests on the players.
The blood samples would be collected before the tournament and would be tested in the laboratories recognised by World Anti Dope Agency (WADA).
He said that anyone found guilty of taking drugs would be banned for two years, besides curtailment of prize money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH