Punjab Warriors defeat Uttar Pradesh Wizards 2-1
Mohali: Local favourites Jaypee Punjab Warriors dished out a commendable performance to register a 2-1 win over Uttar Pradesh Wizards in a hard-fought match of the Hero Hockey India League, here Saturday.
Playing attacking hockey under nearly freezing weather conditions, Punjab skipper Jamie Dwyer gave an early lead to his team when he scored from the left flank in the 21st minute by beating the goalkeeper.
Eight minutes later, Sandeep Singh increased the lead when he scored from the rebound of his own flick, thus converting the only penalty corner which the team had earned.
Despite missing some chances, Punjab kept up the attack and the Wizards fought hard and were rewarded in the 35th minute when Inglis Hugo Reid scored the solitary goal.
With this win, Punjab have now won five matches out of the eight played so far and are placed at number two spot while Wizards are a rung below with four wins from nine outings.
Punjab would be now hoping to salvage another win on their home turf here tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price