PV Sindhu enters Round 2; Jwala-Ashwini ousted in France
Paris: Star Indian shuttler P V Sindhu made a sensational start to her French Super Series campaign as she crushed world number six Ji Hyun Sung of Korea in straight games to sail into the second round of the event here on Wednesday.
World number 10 Sindhu defeated the Korean, who ousted Saina Nehwal at the Denmark Open last week, 21-8 21-12 in just 29 minutes.
Sindhu, who exited the Denmark Open early, rode on her superior smash winners and deft net play to tame the Korean in a one-sided contest at the Stade Pierre de Coubertin here.
In women`s doubles, the pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa went down fighting against Gebby Ristiyani Imawan and Tiara Rosalia Nuraidah of Indonesia in their opening round match at the Stade Pierre De Coubertin.
Renewing their partnership after London Olympics last year, the duo staged a comeback after losing closely in the first game but was overwhelmed 18-21 21-13 17-21 by the world number 16 pair.
The Indian pair started well and had an upper hand in the first game at 17-13 before their opponents won six points on the trot to take the game. But Jwala and Ashwini put that disappointment behind to claim the second game.
The final game, however, was fought keenly but the Indonesian pair relied on their experience to win it and enter the next round in a 50-minute battle.
In the other women singles match, Indian qualifier Arundhati Pantawane crashed out of the first round as she lost to Porntip Buranaprasertsuk of Thailand 17-21 21-16 14-21 in her opening round match.
In men`s singles, Ajay Jayaram notched up a straight-game win over Japan`s Kazumasa Sakai but his compatriots Parupalli Kashyap and RMV Gurusaidutt failed to cross the first hurdle.
World number 25 Ajay rode on his smashes and better net play to get across Kazumasa 21-16 21-11 in a 38-minute men`s singles match last night.
For Kashyap, it was always an uphill task to tame the top seed and world number one Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia and the Indian did play his heart out in the first game but the Malaysian still prevailed 22-20 21-12 at the end of the 37-minute battle.
Gurusaidutt, however, could not put up a fight in the first game but he tried to make a comeback in the second before going down 9-21 14-21 to Chen Yuekun of China in another first round match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?