PV Sindhu needs improvement to go further, feels Natekar
Mumbai: Former badminton great Nandu Natekar feels rising Indian shuttler P V Sindhu is vulnerable in few areas and needs to improve her game if she wants to do better on the international circuit.
"I am sure P V Sindhu will have to pull up her socks if she wants to do better. Frankly, I found her quite vulnerable in a few spots in her match against Saina Nehwal (in the Indian Badminton League)," Natekar said at the award function of Sports Journalists` Association of Mumbai.
Known for his stroke play, the Arjuna award winner felt that Saina Nehwal is performing well but needs patience and self evaluation to get to the top ranking.
"Saina has already reached there and she needs a little more time, a little more patience, and a little more self process of improving the game to get into the top spot," the octogenarian said.
He felt that the recently held IBL was a pleasure to watch but said its success would be determined only if the players get the confidence from it.
"The IBL is something we are very proud of. We were lucky to see this happen in our own life. It was a resounding success. I am sure, the IBL is going to stay here. As far as I am concerned, every evening it was a pleasure to sit in front of the TV and watch these matches. When the IBL got over, you wonder what to do the next evening," he said.
"It is the players who need to benefit from this. We give them time for a couple of years to hone their skills. This kind of exposure, Saina Nehwal and P V Sindhu apart, players are getting is a lot. If this has given them any confidence to play better, then only I will say the IBL has played its part. Only time will say but we have to wait for a little while," he added.
He also lauded the national coach Pullela Gopichand and said, "Gopi takes a very big cake and he deserves it. I read about him that he starts his academy at 4:30 in the morning. That is something unbelievable and how much a man can throw himself at something that is of his liking. To produce so many players is really great. Saina Nehwal is an example. So is P V Sindhu."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray