Qatar chief Hassan al-Thawadi rejects calls to move 2022 FIFA World Cup
London: After Football Association chairman Greg Dyke said that the 2022 Qatar World Cup would have to move location if a suitable time to play in Qatar could not be agreed, the head of the tournament has rejected calls for it to be awarded to another country.
According to the BBC, Hassan al-Thawadi insists there is `no reason` why Qatar should not host the event as planned in 2022.
He said that the country had worked very hard to ensure they were within the rules of bidding and the hosting agreement, adding that they were delivering on the promises that were made.
He added that the Middle East deserves a chance to host a major tournament.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter is determined to switch the 2022 World Cup to the winter as summer temperatures can reach 50C in the Middle East ern country, the report said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended