Raghunath says "unbelievable", Sandeep is "disappointed"
New Delhi: Ace drag-flicker VR Raghunath was was unable to describe his feelings after fetching a whopping USD 76,000 at the unaugural Hockey India auctions while senior pro Sandeep Singh was a disappointed man as he got one of the lowest bids among current India players.
"It is unbelievable. I never expected that I will end up getting so much but I did expect to the tune of USD 50,000," Raghunath told mediapersons after his bidding war was over.
The big bodied defender admitted that need for quality drag-flickers in the country was one of the primary reasons for him getting such price.
"My performance in the Champions Trophy has been rewarded. Also since I am a current India player, I have got a good bidding as every team needs a quality drag-flicker," said Raghunath.
Sandeep Singh, Indian hockey`s poster boy during the pre-Olympic event was a picture of disappintment as he had to depend on Joe carrol`s bidding price in order to end with a decent sum of money.
"Yes, I was disappointed. I didn`t expect this and don`t exactly know what were the reasons for this low price," said the DSP of Punjab Police who got only USD 27,800.
"But the posituve aspect will be that I would be able to work with world`s best coach Ric Charlesworth."
UP Wizards Technical Advisor Dhanraj Pillay said,"I am happy that for the first time, hockey players are getting money. All credit goes to Hockey India and I am sure it will be one of the best leagues in the world."
Legendary Charlesworth is pretty happy with composition of Mumbai Magicians stating,"In these kind of auctions, you normally don`t get everything that you want but I am happy with the team composition and we will make it a good winning side," he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'