Rail Minister gives Rs 5 lakh cheque to para athlete Jhajhria
New Delhi: Para-athlete Devender Jhajhria on Tuesday was presented a cheque of Rs five lakh by Rail Minister Mallikarjun Kharge for winning a gold medal in javelin throw at the Athletics World Championships in July this year.
Jhajhria, who is working as office superintendent in the Railways, scripted history for India as he gave the country its maiden gold medal in Lyon, France.
The 33-year-old from Rajasthan, also a world record holder in the event which he created while winning gold in the 2004 Athens Olympics, hurled the javelin to 57.04m in F-46 category, meant for one-armed athletes.
Jhajharia was felicitated by his employer for his outstanding achievement, the ministry said in a release.
"The Indian Railways, winner of the first `Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar` instituted by the Government of India, always takes lead in promoting sports in the country. Railways sports persons have been participating in prestigious national as well as international competitions like Asiad, Commonwealth Games, Olympics, other international level sports events and bringing laurels to the nation," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32