Rail Minister gives Rs 5 lakh cheque to para athlete Jhajhria
New Delhi: Para-athlete Devender Jhajhria on Tuesday was presented a cheque of Rs five lakh by Rail Minister Mallikarjun Kharge for winning a gold medal in javelin throw at the Athletics World Championships in July this year.
Jhajhria, who is working as office superintendent in the Railways, scripted history for India as he gave the country its maiden gold medal in Lyon, France.
The 33-year-old from Rajasthan, also a world record holder in the event which he created while winning gold in the 2004 Athens Olympics, hurled the javelin to 57.04m in F-46 category, meant for one-armed athletes.
Jhajharia was felicitated by his employer for his outstanding achievement, the ministry said in a release.
"The Indian Railways, winner of the first `Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar` instituted by the Government of India, always takes lead in promoting sports in the country. Railways sports persons have been participating in prestigious national as well as international competitions like Asiad, Commonwealth Games, Olympics, other international level sports events and bringing laurels to the nation," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!