Rail Minister gives Rs 5 lakh cheque to para athlete Jhajhria
New Delhi: Para-athlete Devender Jhajhria on Tuesday was presented a cheque of Rs five lakh by Rail Minister Mallikarjun Kharge for winning a gold medal in javelin throw at the Athletics World Championships in July this year.
Jhajhria, who is working as office superintendent in the Railways, scripted history for India as he gave the country its maiden gold medal in Lyon, France.
The 33-year-old from Rajasthan, also a world record holder in the event which he created while winning gold in the 2004 Athens Olympics, hurled the javelin to 57.04m in F-46 category, meant for one-armed athletes.
Jhajharia was felicitated by his employer for his outstanding achievement, the ministry said in a release.
"The Indian Railways, winner of the first `Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar` instituted by the Government of India, always takes lead in promoting sports in the country. Railways sports persons have been participating in prestigious national as well as international competitions like Asiad, Commonwealth Games, Olympics, other international level sports events and bringing laurels to the nation," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video