Rail Minister gives Rs 5 lakh cheque to para athlete Jhajhria
New Delhi: Para-athlete Devender Jhajhria on Tuesday was presented a cheque of Rs five lakh by Rail Minister Mallikarjun Kharge for winning a gold medal in javelin throw at the Athletics World Championships in July this year.
Jhajhria, who is working as office superintendent in the Railways, scripted history for India as he gave the country its maiden gold medal in Lyon, France.
The 33-year-old from Rajasthan, also a world record holder in the event which he created while winning gold in the 2004 Athens Olympics, hurled the javelin to 57.04m in F-46 category, meant for one-armed athletes.
Jhajharia was felicitated by his employer for his outstanding achievement, the ministry said in a release.
"The Indian Railways, winner of the first `Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar` instituted by the Government of India, always takes lead in promoting sports in the country. Railways sports persons have been participating in prestigious national as well as international competitions like Asiad, Commonwealth Games, Olympics, other international level sports events and bringing laurels to the nation," it added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India