Rajasthan in pre-quarterfinals in Volleyball Nationals
Moradabad: Rajasthan on Thursday advanced to the men`s pre-quarterfinals of the 62nd Senior National Volleyball Championship after a 3-1 victory over hosts Uttar Pradesh here.
Rajasthan emerged 25-17, 25-21, 25-23, 25-22 victorious over the home team on day six of the championship.
In the women`s section, Punjab made their way to the pre-quarterfinals after hammering Himachal Pradesh 3-0 (25-18, 25-10, 25-12).
Karnataka women also progressed to the last 16 stage after thrashing Andhra Pradesh 3-0 (26-24, 25-14, 25-18).
In the men`s section match, Rajasthan drew first blood with Indian team outside hitter Dilip Khoiwal producing some fine attacking play.
The second set was neck-and-neck affair as local player Rahul and former international Omveer leading the Uttar Pradesh resistance. At the later stage of the second set, Rajasthan, however, managed to march ahead with Dilip Khoiwal coming up with two energetic attacks.
Uttar Pradesh bounced back by winning the third set, with Rahul and Omveer ruling the roost in attacking play and libero Mushir delivering accurate first passes to them.
Rajasthan, however, wrapped up the match by winning the fourth set with Lovemeet stealing the show with fine attacks and blocks.
In the women`s match, Punjab dictated terms on Himachal and captain Seema and Lovepreet attacked energetically to take the first set easily. Anamika Chaudhary ruled the roost in second set by getting 10 scoring attacks for Punjab.
In the third set again, Lovpreet displayed an attacking game for Punjab to warp up the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren