Rajeev Shukla, Arun Jaitley join Hockey India League
New Delhi: IPL chairman Rajeev Shukla, senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley and renowned media personality Rajat Sharma have been named as board members of the high-profile Hockey India League (HIL) to be held across the country early next year.
Hockey India secretary-general and HIL chairman Narinder Batra said the appointments of these personalities from outside the hockey circle would enhance the profile of the league.
"We are honoured that Mr. Rajeev Shukla, Mr. Arun Jaitley and Mr. Rajat Sharma have accepted our invitation to be on the board of HIL," he said.
"We are sure that the Hockey India League will gain from Mr. Shukla`s knowledge as chairman of the Indian Premier League Governing Council and in public life, Mr. Jaitley`s vast experience as lawyer and sports administrator and Mr. Rajat Sharma`s experience as a media personality," Batra said.
On his part, Shukla hoped the inaugural HIL will be a huge success.
"I am glad to be given the opportunity to serve our national sport and I am sure that HIL will be an unqualified success," Shukla said.
"I believe everyone in our country loves hockey and hopes for it to return to the big league. As with IPL, I am sure players around the world will want to be a part of the Hockey India League," he added.
Echoing similar sentiments, Jaitley said hockey in India is poised for a massive shot in the arm.
"As a fan of hockey, I have seen the positive steps that Hockey India has taken and I am confident that the professional league with the world`s best players can only help Indian hockey progress faster," he said.
Sharma added: "Without doubt, all of us want Indian hockey to regain its footing among the world`s elite and I believe that Hockey India League will enable us get back where we belong."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes