Ram Singh suspended from NIS, claims he did drugs with Vijender
Patiala/Chandigarh: Olympic bronze-medallist Vijender Singh`s roommate and sparring partner Ram Singh was on Sunday expelled from the National Institute of Sports after admitting that he consumed drugs with the star boxer, who may soon be questioned by the police.
Serving as a head constable with Punjab Police, Ram, a former National Championship medallist in the super heavyweight category, told reporters in Fatehgarh Sahib that he and Vijender experimented with drugs on a few occasions.
The admission came after he was grilled by the police. Ram, who is being daily quizzed, and Vijender`s name cropped up during the investigation into the recovery of Rs 130 crore worth of heroin in Zirakpur on Thursday.
The 27-year-old Vijender, a DSP with Haryana Police, has steadfastly denied involvement in the scandal but has not reacted to Ram`s fresh claims so far.
Police sources said that Vijender is likely to be called for questioning on the basis of statements made by Ram as also alleged drug peddler, NRI Anup Singh Kahlon.
When asked whether Vijender was being summoned, Fatehgarh Sahib SSP Hardyal Singh Mann did not give a clear answer saying, "At the moment the priority is to zero in on four-five persons actively involved in the drug trade," he said.
Their names have emerged based on the interrogation of Kahlon and five others arrested in the case, he said.
Meanwhile, a factory belonging to relatives of an Arjuna awardee wrestler was today searched by Punjab police in a village in Fatehgarh Sahib.
A senior police officer said two persons have been rounded up and were being interrogated. The officer said police is conducting raids to arrest wrestler Jagdish Bhola, a dismissed DSP of Punjab Police, who is the alleged kingpin of a gang recently busted by police with the arrest of Kahlon.
Executive Director of NIS LS Ranawat confirmed Ram`s expulsion in Patiala.
"Ram will be relieved from the camp here from tomorrow," said Ranawat, adding that Vijender would continue to remain in the camp.
Asked about Ram`s presence in the national camp, he said the boxer was not in the original list and was included only on Vijender`s recommendation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS