Ramon Carretero first Panamanian to participate in Tour of Italy
Panama City: Cyclist Ramon Carretero, 23, will be the first Panamanian to participate in the Tour of Italy (Giro d`Italia).
Local daily La Estrella published an interview Sunday with former world champion Mario Cippollini, where the Italian announced that Carretero will compete in the Tour of Italy from May 9 to July 1, reports Xinhua.
Cippollini explained that thanks to his achievements in the local and international stage, Carretero will have the opportunity to be in Italy.
Cippollini is currently visiting Panama as a special guest in the Ocean-to-Ocean Tour, together with other outstanding cyclists such as Spanish Oscar Sevilla and Colombian Victor Hugo Pena.
Carretero has won the Chiriqui Tour, an international competition in the western Panamanian province of Chiriqui in the border with Costa Rica, as well as the Pan-American Championship in Colombia.
In 2012, Carretero became part of Movistar Continental team and since last year he is also part of Yellow Fluo team and will be the second Central American cyclist to take part in Tour of Italy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him