Ramu Memorial: ONGC overcome IOB to win men`s title
Mumbai: Star-studded ONGC overcame a slow start to get the better of Indian Overseas Bank in the men`s final of the 28th Ramu Memorial basketball tournament here.
ONGC, spearheaded by India star Vishesh Brighuvanshi, pulled off a deserving 59-54 victory over the bankmen at the Indian Gymkhana court on Sunday night to take home the winner`s top prize of Rs 1.5 lakh.
IOB, who led 19-18 after the first ten minutes of play, trailed 44-48 at the end of the third quarter.
In the second quarter, ONGC came back strongly and took a seven-point lead at 34-27.
In the third quarter, Pratham Singh of IOB scored a three pointer to reduce the lead.
But in the fourth and final quarter, the pressure got to the bankmen, whose players fumbled when it matters the most, enabling ONGC to pull off their maiden title triumph.
IOB had to be content with the runners-up prize of Rs 1 lakh.
Sports Journalists Association of Mumbai (SJAM) awarded the Javed Akhtar Memorial Trophy to ONGC`s Brighuvanshi after he was adjudicated as the best player of the tournament.
Scores: ONGC 59 (Yadwinder Singh 18, Vishesh Brighuvanshi 17) bt Indian Overseas Bank 54 (Pratham Singh 21, Rikin Pethani 18) Quarter wise score: (18-19, 34-27, 48-44, 59-54).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination