Ramu Memorial: ONGC overcome IOB to win men`s title
Mumbai: Star-studded ONGC overcame a slow start to get the better of Indian Overseas Bank in the men`s final of the 28th Ramu Memorial basketball tournament here.
ONGC, spearheaded by India star Vishesh Brighuvanshi, pulled off a deserving 59-54 victory over the bankmen at the Indian Gymkhana court on Sunday night to take home the winner`s top prize of Rs 1.5 lakh.
IOB, who led 19-18 after the first ten minutes of play, trailed 44-48 at the end of the third quarter.
In the second quarter, ONGC came back strongly and took a seven-point lead at 34-27.
In the third quarter, Pratham Singh of IOB scored a three pointer to reduce the lead.
But in the fourth and final quarter, the pressure got to the bankmen, whose players fumbled when it matters the most, enabling ONGC to pull off their maiden title triumph.
IOB had to be content with the runners-up prize of Rs 1 lakh.
Sports Journalists Association of Mumbai (SJAM) awarded the Javed Akhtar Memorial Trophy to ONGC`s Brighuvanshi after he was adjudicated as the best player of the tournament.
Scores: ONGC 59 (Yadwinder Singh 18, Vishesh Brighuvanshi 17) bt Indian Overseas Bank 54 (Pratham Singh 21, Rikin Pethani 18) Quarter wise score: (18-19, 34-27, 48-44, 59-54).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!