Rana, Sharma in contention for bronze medals
New Delhi: India`s Sunil Kumar Rana and Gaurav Sharma placed themselves in contention for bronze medals in the 66kg and 55kg, respectively, as the country started its campaign in the Senior Asian Wrestling Championship on a mixed note here on Thursday.
Rana, who got a bye in the first round, defeated China`s Gaoquan Zhang 2-1 1-1 to reach the semifinal of the Greco Roman category.
In the semi-final however, Ji-Hun Kim of Korea proved too much for the local lad, who comprehensively defeated him 7-0 4-0.
By virtue of being a semifinal loser, Rana will take on Kazakhstan`s Yerbol Konyratov, who won his repechage round to set up a bronze medal bout.
In the 55kg category, India`s Gaurav Sharma, lost his quarterfinal bout against Korea`s Gyu-Jin Choi 2-4 0-2. The Korean, though, gave the Indian a lifeline to pursue for a bronze through repechage.
In the first contest, Sharma got the first point by executing a takedown on his Kazakhstani opponent, Zhanserik Sarsenbiyev.
However, the Kazakh levelled the proceedings instantly cutting short the excitement of the Indian coaches. The two-first period finished 1-1.
Sharma came back strongly in the second period to surprise his opponent twice in the first minute before taking the period 2-0.
He will take on North Korea`s Won Chol Yun who lost to Gyu-Jin in the semi-final.
Earlier, Ravinder Singh (60kg) lost to Korea`s Douk Gil 0-3 1-0 0-1 to bow of the championship. Naveen, too, lost his opening bout to Iran`s Bashir Babajanzadeh in the 120-kg Greco Roman category.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical