Ranadive becomes majority stake holder in Sacramento Kings
Washington: Indian-American tech tycoon from Silicon Valley Vivek Ranadive has become the majority stake holder in the NBA`s Sacramento Kings and will keep the team in the California capital.
Ranadive, founder and CEO of multi-billion dollar realtime computing company TIBCO, led a group of investors this week to secure an agreement to buy 65 per cent stakes in Sacramento Kings for a league-record valuation of USD 535 million.
The long awaited deal was announced by Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, himself a former NBA player, early this week.
"This was one heck of a comeback," said Johnson as he announced the deal to keep the club in Sacramento city.
Randave, who landed in this country from Mumbai with USD 50 in his pocket and later on went on to earn a master`s degree in electrical engineering from MIT and MA from Harvard, said he jumped in for the bid to prevent the Sacramento King from moving away to Seattle.
With this sale announced early this week, Ranadave has become the first Indian-American owner of NBA.
David Stern, NBA Commissioner, hopes that this will help him taking the basketball to India, a country of more than 1.2 billion people.
"It`s going to be exciting. We`re going to build a global brand with the Kings. We`re going to give the fans the product that they deserve," Ranadave told The USA Today.
"I`m going to do what I do in my business, which is surround myself with people that are way smarter than me," he said.
"But I am a huge fan. I`m going to be there at all the games, be there to support the team in every way."
Ranadave led the group of investors to buy Sacramento Kings after the NBA Board voted 22-8 against relocation of the team to Seattle.
"The committee voted and recommended to the board and it was adopted, that if the Sacramento community could produce a site, a construction team, a strong, financially strong ownership group, and the kind of support by the city and the region that the Mayor Johnson has galvanized, then the appropriate outcome was to keep the team in Sacramento, and that`s what they did," Stern said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh