Ranchi register come-from-behind win over Punjab
Jalandhar: Justin Reid Ross struck twice as Ranchi Rhinos came back from a two-goal deficit to down Jaypee Punjab Warriors 3-2 in a round-robin match of the inaugural Hockey India League here on Monday.
By virtue of this win, the Rhinos have consolidated their second position in the league standings with 36 points from 11 games, eight points behind table toppers Delhi Waveriders.
Irrespective of the loss, the Warriors continue to occupy the third spot with 28 points from 11 matches.
It was the Punjab side which dominated the early exchanges with Australian duo of Kieren Govers (34th minute) giving them the lead through a field goal just a minute before the end of the first half.
Christopher Ciriello then made the scoreline 2-0 in favour of the home team by converting a penalty corner in the 50th minute.
Trailing 0-2, the Rhinos went all out attacking and made a remarkable comeback into the match by scoring three goals in a span of 20 minutes.
Reid Ross pulled one back for the Ranchi side in the 52nd minute by converting a penalty corner before Mandeep Singh made the scoreline 2-2 with a field goal.
Reid Ross once again was at the thick of things and gave Ranchi full points from the game when he converted his second penalty corner of the match just a minute from the hooter, much to the disappointment of the home crowd.
The Warriors will now face Delhi Waveriders in their final round-robin match here on Tuesday, while the Rhinos will be up against Mumbai Magicians in their final game in Mumbai on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’