Ranchi Rhinos beat Kalinga Lancers 3-2 in Hockey India League
Ranchi: Defending champions Ranchi Rhinos staved off a stiff challenge before prevailing over Kalinga Lancers 3-2 in a league match of the second Hero Hockey India League, here today.
Ranchi scored through Ashley Jackson (6th minute), skipper Furste Moritz (57th) and Amon Tirkey (63th), while Kalinga reduced the margin with the help of Peillat Gonzalo (32nd) and captain Kiel Brown (51th).
After this match, Rhinos now have 18 points from five matches with three wins, one lose and one drawn result, while Lancers are languishing at fifth spot with just 8 points after suffering their fourth defeat in five matches.
Jackson converted the first penalty corner to help the hosts draw first blood in the sixth minute of the match.
Amon Tirkey earned the penalty corner after receving the ball from right flank and Ashley`s delayed drag got past the goalie, Harjot Singh.
However, the visitors came back to equalise just before the half time in the 32nd minute when Gonzalo Peilleit converted one of the series of penalty corner chances, striking the ball past the goalie after it hit the back of the net.
After the break, Kalinga took the lead when Lalit dodged a defender and gently passed the ball to Kiel Brown, who didn`t make any mistake in the 51st minute.
However, Ranchi was undettered and Furste brought up the equaliser when he dived and sent the ball to the right corner of the goal. Six minutes later, Ranchi`s Amon Tirkey took the game away from the visitors when he grabbed the ball from Ashley and beat goalie to seal the issue in Rhinos` favour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow