Randhir, Malhotra remain adamant on pullout from IOC-IOA meet
New Delhi: With four days to go for the crucial meeting between Indian officials and the International Olympic Committee, efforts to persuade acting IOA President VK Malhotra and IOC member in India Randhir Singh to reconsider their decision to pull out have not borne fruit with both insisting on staying away.
Malhotra and Randhir had decided to boycott the meeting came a day after the IOC agreed to include Hockey India General Secretary Narinder Batra and Jharkhand Olympic Association R K Anand in the IOA delegation for the meeting, in addition to the four-member list submitted earlier.
The meeting, which is expected to draw a roadmap for India`s return to the Olympic fold, will also be attended by Sports Minister Jitendra Singh, Sports Secretary P K Deb, Beijing Olympics gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra and Olympian sailor Malav Shroff.
Randhir, who was expected to play a key role in the parleys pulled out expressing unhappiness over the composition of the delegation.
There were reports that he could still go to Lausanne and that his stand was a pressure tactic.
"There is no change in my stand, I am not going to Lausanne. I am not trying to use any pressure tactics," Randhir told PTI.
Asked how the IOA delegation would go to Lausanne when its acting President has withdrawn, Randhir said, "I don`t know. As far as I know, Malhotra has withdrawn his four-member delegation, so, anybody who goes there has no recognition."
Taking a dig at those who have decided to go despite the withdrawal, Randhir said, "Anybody can go to Lausanne as tourists. It is a wonderful place and everybody would like to go there."
It is learnt that Sports Secretary P K Deb also called up Randhir urging him to reconsider his decision but the veteran administrator has not relented yet.
Malhotra was scheduled to meet IOC representatives from 8:30 am to 9 am (local time) as per his request but that time slot may now be used for the joint meeting.
The joint meeting was scheduled between 9 am to 12 noon. It would be followed by the Sports Ministry delegation making a courtesy call to IOC President Jacques Rogge between 12 to 12:45 pm followed by the IOA delegation, which would get just 15 minutes starting 12:45 with the IOC chief.
The IOC has already sent a message to the Swiss Embassy here to expedite the visa formalities of all the visiting delegates.
The IOA delegation will leave for Lausanne on Tuesday morning while the Sports Ministry officials are going earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark