Randhir meets Sports Minister, discusses IOA`s suspension
New Delhi: IOC member Randhir Singh on Wednesday met Sports Minister Jitendra Singh to find a solution to get India back into the Olympic fold after the International Olympic Committee suspended it last December for government interference.
Randhir met the minister and Sports Secretary P K Deb at the Ministry here and the meeting lasted for about an hour.
It is learnt that Randhir and the Sports Minister discussed at length the suspension issue and its ramifications. They were particularly concerned that the stalemate will have an adverse impact on the athletes.
"Randhir emphasised to the minister that the athletes would be the worst sufferers and all efforts should be made to lift the ban," a Sports Ministry source said.
"The meeting was very cordial and held in a positive atmosphere," the source said.
Randhir, who was the IOA Secretary General before the new dispensation took over, filed nomination for the post of the president before withdrawing his candidature just before the controversy-marred polls held on December 5.
Just a day before the elections, the IOC had suspended the national Olympic body for adhering to the government`s Sports Code and declared the polls null and void, besides also barring it to discharge any official duties such as holding meetings till the issues were resolved.
In an act of defiance, the IOA went ahead with the polls though the international parent body had refused to recognise Abhay Singh Chautala, who was elected unopposed as president, and his team of office bearers.
Chautala had said after the election that a delegation of the IOA will meet the Sports Minister on the issue of suspension by the IOC and also to plead to drop the Sports Code.
The IOA has also called a meeting of its Executive Council on January 19 to discuss its suspension by the IOC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...