Randhir meets Sports Minister, discusses IOA`s suspension
New Delhi: IOC member Randhir Singh on Wednesday met Sports Minister Jitendra Singh to find a solution to get India back into the Olympic fold after the International Olympic Committee suspended it last December for government interference.
Randhir met the minister and Sports Secretary P K Deb at the Ministry here and the meeting lasted for about an hour.
It is learnt that Randhir and the Sports Minister discussed at length the suspension issue and its ramifications. They were particularly concerned that the stalemate will have an adverse impact on the athletes.
"Randhir emphasised to the minister that the athletes would be the worst sufferers and all efforts should be made to lift the ban," a Sports Ministry source said.
"The meeting was very cordial and held in a positive atmosphere," the source said.
Randhir, who was the IOA Secretary General before the new dispensation took over, filed nomination for the post of the president before withdrawing his candidature just before the controversy-marred polls held on December 5.
Just a day before the elections, the IOC had suspended the national Olympic body for adhering to the government`s Sports Code and declared the polls null and void, besides also barring it to discharge any official duties such as holding meetings till the issues were resolved.
In an act of defiance, the IOA went ahead with the polls though the international parent body had refused to recognise Abhay Singh Chautala, who was elected unopposed as president, and his team of office bearers.
Chautala had said after the election that a delegation of the IOA will meet the Sports Minister on the issue of suspension by the IOC and also to plead to drop the Sports Code.
The IOA has also called a meeting of its Executive Council on January 19 to discuss its suspension by the IOC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried