Ricky Hatton offered fight in Moscow
Moscow: Hours after announcing his comeback, three-time champion Ricky Hatton is to be offered a fight in Moscow with Russian light welterweight prospect Khabib Allakhverdiev, the Russian`s promoter said.
Hatton is a former WBA and IBF light welterweight champion and WBA welterweight champion who has not fought since a knockout defeat to Manny Pacquiao in 2009, while Allahkverdiev is undefeated in 17 fights and holds the lesser-known IBO belt.
"After Ricky Hatton`s return to the ring, I am prepared to take on the organisation of a fight between him and Khabib Allakhverdiev," the Russian`s promoter Vlad Hrunov said.
Hatton and Hrunov both have links to Golden Boy Promotions, which could make organising the fight easier, Hrunov said.
"We`re holding talks about cooperation with the Golden Boy company, for Allakhverdiev`s further advancement. I think that this will make it easier, to a significant degree, to organise a match between the fighters."
Hrunov conceded that one difficulty could be getting Hatton down to the weight limit for light welterweight.
Hatton has asked the British Boxing Board of Control to return his boxing license in order for him to fight again, and said he wants to fight for world titles.
Before his retirement, the British fighter known as "The Hitman" recorded victories over such famous names as Kostya Tszyu and Luis Collazo, while his only defeat were against Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- HILARIOUS! How Virender Sehwag trolled birthday boy Rohit Sharma in his inimitable style
- Section 144 imposed in Jind as Jat leaders start 'jail bharo' movement
- PM Narendra Modi salutes 'Shramiks' hard work, determination on Labour Day
- Breathtaking! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' teaser 2 introduces Anushka Sharma as 'Aarfa' – Watch
- Centre declines to share info on bringing back Kohinoor