Rogge happy with Sochi`s progress for 2014 Games
Moscow: IOC president Jacques Rogge gave his full support to the organisers of the 2014 Winter Olympics on Tuesday, saying he was very happy with Sochi`s progress.
"I am extremely pleased by the pace and quality of the preparations in Sochi," Rogge told a news conference in Moscow after signing a sponsorship deal with Visa, the world`s largest payment network.
The Russian Black Sea resort, which was awarded the 2014 Games at the IOC session in Guatemala in July 2007, needs to build most of the sports venues and infrastructure from scratch.
"Sochi was awarded the Games just a little over two years ago and I am very happy with the city`s progress," said Rogge.
Sochi 2014 CEO Dmitry Chernyshenko said Visa`s IOC contract helped his city to raise its sponsorship budget to USD 850 million.
Money from the private sector should come in handy as the Russian government announced earlier this year it was slashing its state budget for the 2014 Games by more than USD 600 million due to the economic crisis.
Russia made an initial pledge to spend USD 12 billion in private and public money on developing the Black Sea resort.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'