Rose Valley Chess: Sengupta upsets Wojtaszek
Kolkata: Grandmaster Deep Sengupta caused the biggest upset, defeating top rated Radoslav Wojtaszek of Polandin the eighth round of Rose Valley open International chess tournament here Monday.
In a tense game, Wojtaszek paid the price for his overambitious display and the victory landed Sengupta in a five-way lead at the top on six points after Vidit Gujarathi played out a solid draw with Ahmed Adly of Egypt at the top board.
Moldovan Grandmaster Viorel Iordachesen spoiled IM Swapnil Dholpade`s fantastic run. Dhopade still needs a draw in the ninth round Tuesday to be eligible for what would be his second Grandmaster norm.
Confirming another GM norm for himself, Gujarathi now shares the lead with Iordachescu, Sengupta, Marat Dzhumaev of Uzbekistan and S.P. Sethuraman of India.
With just three rounds to come, the battle is only expected to heat up with as many as seven players including second seed Anton Korobov having five points apiece.
The upset galore continued and a huge beneficiary of the day was Sethuraman who defeated local stalwart Surya Shekhar Ganguly. Sethuraman opted for the Advance variation in the French defense and the edge-of-the-seat battle saw Ganguly missing the thread to find himself in a lost endgame. Sethuraman made no mistakes and converted quite easily.
Apart from Ganguly, another local star Sandipan Chanda also suffered a huge setback at the hands of Vishnu Prasanna who is now gunning for a Grandmaster norm.
Grandmaster Dzhumaev defeated G.N. Gopal in game that was supposed to be drawn but the latter tried hard to make a foray. Erstwhile sole leader Dzhumaev is back in lead with the victory and with the big names of the tournament still having some catching up to do, things can only become more exciting here at the Russian Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place