Rs 1 crore award for shooter Rahi Sarnobat
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Thursday announced cash award of Rs 1 crore to markswoman Rahi Sarnobat, who became the first pistol shooter from India to win a gold medal in the ISSF (International Shooting Sport Federation) World Cup, held in South Korea.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said in the legislative council that there is also a proposal to give her a Grade-I job in the state government.
"She has made all of us proud and her success will also encourage other sportspersons," Chavan said in the Upper House.
Sports Minister Padmakar Valvi said that Sarnobat would be given the award of Rs 1 crore within 15 days.
Sarnobat, the 22-year-old from Kolhapur, pipped Korean girl Kyeongae Kim 8-6 in the final of the 25m sports pistol event at Changwon, Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list