Rs 1 crore award for shooter Rahi Sarnobat
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Thursday announced cash award of Rs 1 crore to markswoman Rahi Sarnobat, who became the first pistol shooter from India to win a gold medal in the ISSF (International Shooting Sport Federation) World Cup, held in South Korea.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said in the legislative council that there is also a proposal to give her a Grade-I job in the state government.
"She has made all of us proud and her success will also encourage other sportspersons," Chavan said in the Upper House.
Sports Minister Padmakar Valvi said that Sarnobat would be given the award of Rs 1 crore within 15 days.
Sarnobat, the 22-year-old from Kolhapur, pipped Korean girl Kyeongae Kim 8-6 in the final of the 25m sports pistol event at Changwon, Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- It's official: Allan Donald named Australia's bowling coach for Sri Lanka tour
- Kane Williamson named New Zealand skipper for all three formats
- Hema Malini congratulates Deepika for her engagement!
- Mizoram HSLC Board Results 2016: MBSE HSLC Class 10 exam Results (mbse.edu.in) to be declared today
- Docoss X1 Smartphone at Rs 888: All you want to know