Rs 1 crore award for shooter Rahi Sarnobat
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Thursday announced cash award of Rs 1 crore to markswoman Rahi Sarnobat, who became the first pistol shooter from India to win a gold medal in the ISSF (International Shooting Sport Federation) World Cup, held in South Korea.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said in the legislative council that there is also a proposal to give her a Grade-I job in the state government.
"She has made all of us proud and her success will also encourage other sportspersons," Chavan said in the Upper House.
Sports Minister Padmakar Valvi said that Sarnobat would be given the award of Rs 1 crore within 15 days.
Sarnobat, the 22-year-old from Kolhapur, pipped Korean girl Kyeongae Kim 8-6 in the final of the 25m sports pistol event at Changwon, Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal