Rs 1 crore award for shooter Rahi Sarnobat
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Thursday announced cash award of Rs 1 crore to markswoman Rahi Sarnobat, who became the first pistol shooter from India to win a gold medal in the ISSF (International Shooting Sport Federation) World Cup, held in South Korea.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said in the legislative council that there is also a proposal to give her a Grade-I job in the state government.
"She has made all of us proud and her success will also encourage other sportspersons," Chavan said in the Upper House.
Sports Minister Padmakar Valvi said that Sarnobat would be given the award of Rs 1 crore within 15 days.
Sarnobat, the 22-year-old from Kolhapur, pipped Korean girl Kyeongae Kim 8-6 in the final of the 25m sports pistol event at Changwon, Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress