Rupesh, Sanave decide to play in IBL
New Delhi: Doubles pair Sanave Thomas and KT Rupesh Kumar confirmed their participation in the Indian Badminton League (IBL), two days after hinting that they might consider pulling out over their reduced base price at players` auction.
The two had said that they were unsure of playing in the $1 million league, after their base price was slashed from $15,000 to $5,000 at the auction without their knowledge.
"We have decided to play in the IBL and we spoke to Pune coach Nikhil Kanetkar yesterday to confirm our participation. We understand it is not the fault of the franchise, the organisers have done it. So why harm the franchise, we will try our best and not let our team down," Rupesh told IANS Saturday.
Sanave echoed similar sentiments.
"Rupesh and I decided to play and I also spoke to Nikhil to confirm our participation," Sanave told IANS.
The two, who have won the national doubles title for a record seven times from 2004 to 2010, were sold to Pune Pistons for their base price of $5,000 each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- MS Dhoni backs Virat Kohli-led team India to claim No. 1 spot in Tests by the end of home season
- I want to play a warrior: Tabu
- Weeds, less water could spell death for Chandigarh's Sukhna Lake
- F&B giant Pepsico end decade-long association with India's ODI captain MS Dhoni
- Committee flags gaps, vulnerability in Indo-Pak border fencing