Russia gets gold in solo free routine synchronised swimming
Barcelona: Russia`s Svetlana Romashina won the gold medal in the solo free routine of synchronized swimming at the World Swimming and Diving Championships here.
The 24-year-old Romashina scored a total of 97.340 points in a Marilyn Monroe-inspired routine which allowed her to win her third gold medal in Barcelona after her success in the solo and duet technical routine here Wednesday.
Romashina was followed by China`s Xuechen Huang, who already has two world silver medals in the solo technical. Huang scored 95. 720 points interpreting a music piece from the Phantom of the Opera musical, written by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Local favourite Ona Carbonell scored a total of 94.290 points, paying tribute to Barcelona, her home, with a duet of soprano Montserrat Caballe and rock singer Freddie Mercury from Queen that had been written for 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games.
A total of 308 sportswomen are competing in synchronized swimming at the Swimming Worlds Championships here, which set a record in terms of participation reaching 2,293 athletes from 181 different countries and regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report