Russia joins US, Canada on sledge hockey podium
Sochi: The United States became the first team to win back-to-back Winter Paralympics sledge hockey golds while silver medallists Russia confirmed their place among the sport`s elite here.
American forward Josh Sweeney`s second period goal Saturday secured them a 1-0 win against Russia. US coach Jeff Sauer said Sweeney scored the goal because he managed to get the goaltender moving, reports Xinhua.
"One of the things we didn`t do well against Russia the other night was that we didn`t get the goaltender moving," Sauer said, referring to the Group B 1-2 loss to Russia Tuesday.
The Russian squad, created just five years ago, established themselves as a sledge hockey superpower, joining US, Canada and Norway as a consistent medal contender.
"This triangle of Canada, US and Russia in the near future will determine the development of sledge hockey and we really want that to happen," Russia coach Sergey Samoylo said.
Russia earned the podium spot after their Winter Olympics` men`s and women`s teams were bundled out earlier.
Canada missed out on the podium in front of home fans at 2010 Vancouver after Norway scored a goal with less than four seconds left in the bronze medal game.
The two teams faced off again for third place here with the Canadians, this time, leaving no room for doubt with a 3-0 victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical