Russia joins US, Canada on sledge hockey podium
Sochi: The United States became the first team to win back-to-back Winter Paralympics sledge hockey golds while silver medallists Russia confirmed their place among the sport`s elite here.
American forward Josh Sweeney`s second period goal Saturday secured them a 1-0 win against Russia. US coach Jeff Sauer said Sweeney scored the goal because he managed to get the goaltender moving, reports Xinhua.
"One of the things we didn`t do well against Russia the other night was that we didn`t get the goaltender moving," Sauer said, referring to the Group B 1-2 loss to Russia Tuesday.
The Russian squad, created just five years ago, established themselves as a sledge hockey superpower, joining US, Canada and Norway as a consistent medal contender.
"This triangle of Canada, US and Russia in the near future will determine the development of sledge hockey and we really want that to happen," Russia coach Sergey Samoylo said.
Russia earned the podium spot after their Winter Olympics` men`s and women`s teams were bundled out earlier.
Canada missed out on the podium in front of home fans at 2010 Vancouver after Norway scored a goal with less than four seconds left in the bronze medal game.
The two teams faced off again for third place here with the Canadians, this time, leaving no room for doubt with a 3-0 victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22