Russia off to flying start at World University Games
Kazan: Hosts Russia enjoyed a flying start on the first competition day at the 27th Summer Universiade, winning six gold, two silver and eight bronze medals here.
Yet it was Australian diver Samantha Mills who turned out to be the first gold medallist of Kazan Universiade as she edged her Chinese opponents for the title of women`s 1-metre springboard on Sunday.
Jia Dongjin finished second while her Chinese teammate Wang Liting settled for the bronze due to a blunder in her fourth dive, Xinhua reports.
Then the Universiade became the stage for the Russian athletes who won three gold medals from belt wrestling, one each from diving, athletics and gymnastics.
Belt wrestling is introduced into Universiade for the first time.
South Korea surprisingly took the second place on medal table with three gold and a bronze.
South Korea`s gold medals were from judo, women`s individual epee and badminton`s mixed team event.
In both the women`s individual epee and badminton`s mixed team events, South Koreans claimed the titles at the expense of their Chinese opponents.
China finished the day with two golds,both from weightlifting. Defending Universiade champion Xiao Hongyu proved she was still too strong for the other weightlifters as she took the gold of women`s 48kg category with a total of 187kg.
Xu Jingui added the second gold for China as he set a new clean and jerk Universiade record before winning the title at 264kg.
China also won four silver and two bronze medals to be third on the table.
China sent a total of 280 athletes, mostly amateurs, to Kazan Universiade. They will compete in 21 out of 27 sports. It will be hard for China to repeat the glory four years ago in Shenzhen when China took 75 gold for the top spot.
The 27th Summer Universiade runs from July 6 to 17 with a record entry of more than 13,000 athletes, coaches and officials from 162 countries and regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015