Russia unveils Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic medals
St. Petersburg: Russia unveiled the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics medals, opting for a two-colour design evoking the imagery of the jagged Caucasus mountain range.
Nearly 1,300 medals are being produced for Russia`s first Winter Games, which run Feb 7-23.
"I`m sure these great awards have already gone down in history and will find their heroes," organising committee chief Dmitry Chernyshenko said Thursday.
"I`m sure they will find lots of Russian owners, but I wish all foreign competitors well too."
The gold, silver and bronze medals, weighing 460 grams to 531 grams, have their respective metals act as a border to a greyscale design in the background. The design, he said, reflects the "eternal values of Russia," but also the "innovative approach to the Games."
In total, a record 98 sets of medals, will be up for grabs in 15 sports. The Paralympic medals weigh slightly more and feature Braille embossing.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark