Russia unveils Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic medals
St. Petersburg: Russia unveiled the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics medals, opting for a two-colour design evoking the imagery of the jagged Caucasus mountain range.
Nearly 1,300 medals are being produced for Russia`s first Winter Games, which run Feb 7-23.
"I`m sure these great awards have already gone down in history and will find their heroes," organising committee chief Dmitry Chernyshenko said Thursday.
"I`m sure they will find lots of Russian owners, but I wish all foreign competitors well too."
The gold, silver and bronze medals, weighing 460 grams to 531 grams, have their respective metals act as a border to a greyscale design in the background. The design, he said, reflects the "eternal values of Russia," but also the "innovative approach to the Games."
In total, a record 98 sets of medals, will be up for grabs in 15 sports. The Paralympic medals weigh slightly more and feature Braille embossing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Donald Trump says EU formed 'to beat US at making money'
- Muslim woman told to remove hijab for job application in New Zealand
- Kriti Sanon wishes 'Heropanti' director Sabbir Khan a very happy birthday! Pic inside
- Suicide attack in Baghdad kills at least 10 people
- BJP made Dayashankar Singh use foul language against me; SP also involved in conspiracy, alleges Mayawati