Russia unveils Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic medals
St. Petersburg: Russia unveiled the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics medals, opting for a two-colour design evoking the imagery of the jagged Caucasus mountain range.
Nearly 1,300 medals are being produced for Russia`s first Winter Games, which run Feb 7-23.
"I`m sure these great awards have already gone down in history and will find their heroes," organising committee chief Dmitry Chernyshenko said Thursday.
"I`m sure they will find lots of Russian owners, but I wish all foreign competitors well too."
The gold, silver and bronze medals, weighing 460 grams to 531 grams, have their respective metals act as a border to a greyscale design in the background. The design, he said, reflects the "eternal values of Russia," but also the "innovative approach to the Games."
In total, a record 98 sets of medals, will be up for grabs in 15 sports. The Paralympic medals weigh slightly more and feature Braille embossing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award