Russia unveils Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic medals
St. Petersburg: Russia unveiled the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics medals, opting for a two-colour design evoking the imagery of the jagged Caucasus mountain range.
Nearly 1,300 medals are being produced for Russia`s first Winter Games, which run Feb 7-23.
"I`m sure these great awards have already gone down in history and will find their heroes," organising committee chief Dmitry Chernyshenko said Thursday.
"I`m sure they will find lots of Russian owners, but I wish all foreign competitors well too."
The gold, silver and bronze medals, weighing 460 grams to 531 grams, have their respective metals act as a border to a greyscale design in the background. The design, he said, reflects the "eternal values of Russia," but also the "innovative approach to the Games."
In total, a record 98 sets of medals, will be up for grabs in 15 sports. The Paralympic medals weigh slightly more and feature Braille embossing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur