Russia unveils Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic medals
St. Petersburg: Russia unveiled the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics medals, opting for a two-colour design evoking the imagery of the jagged Caucasus mountain range.
Nearly 1,300 medals are being produced for Russia`s first Winter Games, which run Feb 7-23.
"I`m sure these great awards have already gone down in history and will find their heroes," organising committee chief Dmitry Chernyshenko said Thursday.
"I`m sure they will find lots of Russian owners, but I wish all foreign competitors well too."
The gold, silver and bronze medals, weighing 460 grams to 531 grams, have their respective metals act as a border to a greyscale design in the background. The design, he said, reflects the "eternal values of Russia," but also the "innovative approach to the Games."
In total, a record 98 sets of medals, will be up for grabs in 15 sports. The Paralympic medals weigh slightly more and feature Braille embossing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player