Russia wins record gold medals at Universiade
Kazan (Russia): With four more match days remaining, hosts Russia has already set a new record of winning the most gold medals at a single Universiade.
After the conclusion of 40 finals contested Friday, Russia has totalled 88 gold medals to break the previous Universiade record of 75 set by China two years ago in Shenzhen, reports Xinhua.
Unlike most of the countries which sent university athletes to the Universiade, Russia fielded a strong delegation. The Russian delegation includes 25 Olympic champions, 50 Olympic medalists and more than 100 world class athletes.
China overtook South Korea to be placed third on medal table with 13 gold, 17 silver and 11 bronze medals. Japan ranks second with seven more bronze medals than China.
China won three more gold medals from diving Friday while their paddlers added one to the tally after beating Japan 3-0 in the men`s table tennis team event final.
Chinese men`s football team, which failed to qualify from the group with two draws and one defeat, finally scored their first victory as they came from one goal down to beat Brazil 4-1.
The Chinese team, consisting of pure university athletes, played to a 0-0, 2-2 draws with Mexico and Ireland, respectively, before losing to Russia 0-2.
The shooting tournament opened with six gold medals on offer. Chinese sharpshooters, led by Olympic bronze medallist Yu Dan and World Cup title holder Li Peijing, failed to win a single title due to minor errors.
Half of Friday`s six shooting golds were taken by Russia while Germany, Italy and Australia each won one. China finished the day with one silver and four bronze medals.
Saturday will feature 17 finals in shooting, swimming, table tennis, beach volleyball and wrestling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27